Become a member of Disability Nottinghamshire
We are an organisation run by, and for, disabled people. We pride ourselves on doing work that really meets the needs of local disabled people, their carers, families and friends. Key to this is having an active and strong membership that tells us what we should and should not be doing.
- Are you a disabled person living or working in Nottinghamshire over the age of 16?
- Are you interested in disability issues and want to improve disabled peoples’ lives?
- Do you want the chance to meet other local disabled people?
- If yes, then get involved and become a member of Disability Nottinghamshire!
- The same as full membership but if you are a non-disabled person you can only apply for an affiliate membership.
Our members help shape the work of Disability Nottinghamshire, this includes the services we run now and the services we should run in the future. We also have influence over the services you receive from local or county councils and the national health service.
What do members do?
We will invite you to our Annual General Meeting and invite you to be involved in our events. You will also be kept updated on any local schemes or groups which may be of interest to you.
Members also elect the board of directors of Disability Nottinghamshire and can nominate or stand for election themselves.
What’s in it for you?
As well as shaping the work of Disability Nottinghamshire and making a difference to the lives of disabled people in Nottinghamshire you will also get:
- access to training on disability equality issues and disabled people’s rights under law
- info on all Disability Nottinghamshire services
- an opportunity to take part in the work and events we run
- information on how you can influence services
- to be part of a user led organisation, representing the views of others like you, for a more inclusive society
What do we mean by disabled people and who can be a member?
When we talk about disabled people we mean: people with physical or mobility impairments, people with visual impairments, people with learning difficulties, deaf people and people with hearing impairments, people with hidden or cognitive impairments and people with mental health issues.
Any disabled person who lives or works in Nottinghamshire can be a member and we strive to meet the access needs of everyone.
Does it cost anything to become a member?
No, membership is free. However, as a member of Disability Nottinghamshire you might be asked to give up to (but no more than) £10 if Disability Nottinghamshire goes bankrupt but rest assured Disability Nottinghamshire has a policy of keeping enough money in the bank to cover emergencies so this is unlikely to happen!
How do you apply to become a member?
It’s easy just:
1. Contact our office and we will send you a membership form for you to fill out
2. Your application to become a member will then go to next Board meeting
3. If your application is agreed we will formally confirm you as a member and send you a member’s introduction pack.